How to Disable Windows Defender in Windows 10?
Today in this post I will show you how to enable or disable windows defender on your computer. Windows Defender is a free antivirus built into Windows 10 and is a very useful tool that protects your PC from malware. Sometimes Windows Defender slows down your computer and reduces its performance. Therefore, I will show you a few easy steps to turn off temporarily or permanently.
Turn off temporarily using the Security Center
- Press the Windows key or click on the start menu.
- Click Settings
- Click Update and Security
- On the left: Windows Security
- Click “Open Windows Defender Security Center“
- In the new window in the left column, click Shield (2nd icon)
- Click “Virus and Threat Protection Settings“
Disable 3 features:
- Real-time protection
- Cloud protection
- Automatic sample submission
- Press the Windows key and R to open the Run box on your system.
- Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
- In the left panel of Local Group Policy Editor, navigate to the following location:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Defender Antivirus -> Real-time Protection
In the right panel, you will see a policy labeled “Turn off real-time protection“. Double-click on it to modify.
- Select Enabled. Click Apply and then OK.
- You must restart the computer to enable this policy to take place. When you try to enable real-time protection again in Windows Defender, you will get a message that says “This setting is managed by your administrator”.
Turn off Windows Defender permanently with Command Prompt
Open the Command Prompt as administrator. Type the following command and press Enter.
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" /v DisableRealtimeMonitoring /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
Restart your computer to update the changes, and then Windows Defender is already disabled.
How to Activate Windows Defender?
Of course, nothing prevents you from re-activating Windows Defender by doing the reverse manipulation and setting the Disabled parameter.
If you find this article useful, press the like button below and share it with your friends.